RHS Botanical Art and Photography Show 2026 - DRAWINGS

BOTANICAL ILLUSTRATION : 

"Botanical Illustration is a genre of art that endeavours to faithfully depict and represent the form, colour and detail of a plant, identifiable to species or cultivar level. As a technical discipline, botanical illustration emphasizes the depiction of accurate information, documenting the anatomical and functional aspect of a plant throughout its life cycle. The best botanical illustration successfully combines scientific accuracy with visual appeal. It must portray a plant with the precision and level of detail for it to be recognised and distinguished from another species. " (RHS)

  • Botanical Accuracy: Drawings must be true to life and readily identifiable to the genus level. Artists are strongly advised to work from living specimens; work copied directly from photographs is unacceptable.
  • Life-Size and Scale: Artworks should be at least life-size. If the drawing is not life-size, a precise, discrete bar scale must be included on the artwork.
  • Materials and Presentation: Artwork must be created on white or off-white paper or vellum. All pieces must be displayed in a consistent style—either all framed or all unframed—using neutral-coloured mounts and simple frames.
  • Dissections: Including dissections or magnified sections (like internal structures or spores) is encouraged to showcase detailed botanical understanding.
  • Labelling: All plant material must be correctly identified using accurate, well-presented written information that includes the Latin (botanical) name and the drawing medium. 
  • Age of Work: All submissions must be produced recently, typically within the last 5 years.(Google search about RHS rules for submitting work )



  • I found very interesting to see that despite very tight rules, each artist had their own style and perspectives. I was surprised to see different types of presentation of the plants. Those drawings also show such a dedicated interest : I found very touching to think that they had to observe the plants through the 4 seasons in order to depict their cycles properly. I also liked to see the details when getting closer and see the steps in the drawings through the lines. The scales given are also interesting. And I enjoyed some of the artists statements, sharing the way they worked.



    IRINA NEACSU

    Iris pseudacorus Variations under human selection 2026 Watercolour and graphite on paper


    MASAKO WATANABE

    Gentiana triflora on Mount Nyûgasa 2026 Watercolour on paper

    KEIKO NIBU TARVER

    Aesculus flava Yellow buckeye 2024 Watercolour and graphite on paper


    SALLY POND

    Dactylis glomerata 2026 Watercolour and graphite on paper

    NORMA GREGORY

    "We largely ignore roots, yet plants depend on them. Some of the ones on display I planted, others I inherited. The liquorice root I bought as a 5-year-old plant, 15 years ago. Once I have drawn up my chosen subject, I mix my colours, checking them carefully against my specimen and recording the mixes. Using very diluted washes, working wet-into-wet, I lay the pigment down to establish the tone and form, repeating to build the effect. Then, using wet-on-dry, I keep adding paint until I reach the final colour and achieve a 3D effect to the form of the roots. Finally, I check again and correct where needed. Then I breathe a sigh of relief!"


    Gladiolus Gladioli 2024 Watercolour and body colour on paper



    YOLANDE MUSCHAMP

    "These six sages are growing in my South Gloucestershire garden and have been studied over two years. The six were originally selected to provide a range of colour and texture in their leaves, flowers and seed heads. Each composition attempts to capture the changes which have occurred over each plant's annual cycle with a particular focus on the leaves which have a culinary purpose. I kept a field sketchbook observing and drawing changes in the structure of each plant. These were complemented by colour matching and further observations in my studio when I could dissect pieces of each plant. The final artworks were compiled over a two-year period."


    Salvia lavandulifolia Narrow leaf sage February 2026 Watercolour on paper


    CHRISTIANE FASHEK

    "Raucous Glaucous 16x is an exploration of the changes in colour and form between damp (photosynthesizing) and dry (dormant) states in three pairs of tree-dwelling lichen clusters from Texas Hill Country. Lichens are identified when dry. Their juxtaposition and enlargement fill a gap in available data and shed light on this confusing aspect of their study. I collected, identified (in partnership with lichenologists and herbaria), scaled, and painted these specimens to illuminate the peculiar and enthralling characteristics of healthy lichens in a threatened environment."


    Flowering Fringe Lichen Cluster 16x Glaucous 2025 Coloured pencil on paper




    JENNY HYDE-JOHNSON

    Jamesbrittenia calciphila and Crassula expansa in a calcrete ridge depression 2026 Gouache on Canson art board with Arches satin grain


    HYUNJIN CHO



    Hallasan Wildflowers of Jeju Island 2026 Coloured pencil on paper

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    "Bodies of water" - The Dream and the Underworld by James Hillman

    Visite du site de l'exposition coloniale de 1897 - Visit of the site of the 1897 colonial exhibition - AfricaMuseum - Bruxelles

    Sheffield Botanical Garden