2006/2007

"Diary", 2006

I photocopied the two first pages of each of my diaries written since I arrived in England. I left my hands on the photocopier window. I covered my writings with thick black marker and scanned the photocopies.
The result is a strange intimate reading experience where the handwritten words cannot be read but where you nearly touch the writer's hands, turning the pages along with her.

Following this work, I made a video piece "Dark Continent", shown at Burslem School of Art in April/May 2007 for the exhibiton "Artists fight against racism" curated by Jane Goetzee.




Accompanying text :
"The phrase "Dark Continent" first appeared as evocating Africa in a colonialist context. It was then used by Sigmund Freud to refer to women's sexuality and later discussed by feminist intellectuals, critizising the passive role associated with feminity. In their early revendication, feminists also tended to establish a parallel between the women liberation and the liberation of the Black people from oppression.
On Gilberto Gil's Brazilian music, the present video piece evocates this multilayered subject. In a humoristic and sensual manner, the dance also questions the duality between different types of languages : male and female, mother tongue and foreign language, verbal and non verbal communication.
This is a struggle and a longing for reconciliation, for the Other to be recognized as part of oneself."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Factory Night @ Old Telephone Building - Stoke-on-Trent

1/3 - The circle of my heart - Le cercle de mon coeur.